With the blessing of His Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion, the Mission in Haiti has established a building fund for the parish of St Augustine in Jacmel. Like all the parishes in Haiti, this is a thriving community. It is in dire need of a permanent church — services are currently held in a tiny rented room, which is much too small. Many of the faithful must stand outside under a tent.
The city of Jacmel, with an estimated population of 40,000, was established in 1698 by French colonists. The port town is regarded as one of the safest cities in the country, and many incoming foreigners that enter the country in hope of a tranquil time head for Jacmel. During the 7.0 earthquake on January 12, 2010, the city suffered extensive damage and casualties. Approximately 500 residents were killed and 4,000 injured (including several members of the Orthodox community). 70% of the homes in Jacmel were damaged, with most of the damage being suffered in the poorer neighborhoods.
More information about the city of Jacmel may be found on Wikipedia